K-1 and K-3

K-1 and K-3

Thursday, November 4, 2021

In the beginning of our day today, we finished our scarecrow projects we made yesterday. To go along with the book, The Scarecrow's Hat, I asked both classes to finish a writing prompt that Mrs. Martens and I prepared for them. The prompt was:

My scarecrow's hat is _______________.

I would swap a ________________   for a ____________________.

This was the first time I have really asked my kindergarten friends to write on their own and they did absolutely AMAZING! I was so proud of all the creative ideas they came up with and how well they all sounded out the words they wanted to write with their "brave spelling." Way to go, K-1 and K-3! I hung them in the hallway this afternoon for all of Olive to see and I had many teachers and students commenting how wonderful the scarecrows were and how impressive their writing is! I am SO proud of all my kindergarten friends!


K-1 finished scarecrow projects

K-3 finished scarecrow projects

 The morning class was able to have a Jolly Phonics lesson today because they didn't have any specials. The afternoon didn't have time because we had library with Mrs. Dufern today. In the morning class, we learned the Jolly Phonics letter sound for the letter "Xx." The class did a wonderful job learning the sound and motion for the letter and I was so proud of how well they did incorporating this new sound into reading and writing words on their own. The motion for the letter "Xx" sound is to pretend you are taking a picture with an x-ray camera and say ks, ks, ks. I LOVE when my kindergarten friends get to practice the learned letter in their packets because it's so fun to see the growth they are making as writers. They are doing an excellent job sounding out the words on their own and spelling them with using the sounds they have learned in Jolly Phonics. Yay, K-1 and K-3!







The remainder of our day was spent having recess and doing two report card assessments. The assessments helped me get a better understanding on how they doing with writing numbers and their upper and lowercase letters. They all did great and I couldn't be a prouder teacher! 

Have a wonderful night, everyone!