K-1 and K-3

K-1 and K-3

Thursday, October 27, 2022

 In class today, I began teaching my kindergarten friends how to write a few lowercase letters the correct way on the lines using our Handwriting Without Tears program.  We began learning a few of the letters that are part of the magic c group. To help my kindergarten friends learn about line placement of the letters, I spent some time talking about the lines (baseline, middle line, sky space, etc.) we will be using for handwriting and why they are important when we write letters on them. I showed them how to write each letter first using a big chalkboard that had the lines we just learned about. They were able to practice writing the letters on their own chalkboards. They all did such a great job listening during the lesson and ensuring they were writing the letters on the lines the correct way. I was so impressed! After we learned how to write the letters on chalkboards, my kinders went to their seats and they practiced writing the letters on lines in their handwriting workbooks. They did a fabulous job and I was so impressed with how nice and neat they wrote all the letters on the lines! Way to go, K-1 and K-3!























Yesterday and today, we spent some time in class putting labels on index cards that contain ALL the sight words we have learned so far in kindergarten. They are all of the September and October sight words. Each month we will add our new sight words to our sight word baggie so we can continue to build on our sight word vocabulary. The more sight words your child learns, the more fluent they will become as a reader which in turn helps them with comprehension. I told my kinder friends that they should be practicing their sight words EVERY day because the more they practice, the better they will be at recognizing them quickly on their own. They were so excited to make their sight word cards and bring their baggies home to practice with all of you. Please make sure their sight word baggies are kept in their backpack because we will be working with these baggies at school and we will be adding to them during our school year. 






It was a fabulous day in kindergarten and I am so proud of all my kinder friends are learning! They have begun to take off as readers and writers and it's so much fun to see! Have a great night, everyone!