K-1 and K-3

K-1 and K-3

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Reading To A Partner -WOW!!! Great Job K-1 and K-3!

 Today in class, we read a small mini book called Where Did The Turkey Go?  When reading this book with both classes I discussed all the things that good readers do and I taught them these skills as we read it together. We also discussed how letters make words and how words make sentences. On each page, I asked them to count how many words were on the page and I also asked them to find specific words and count how many letters were in that word. They did great figuring out both! This book really focused on positional words such as: in front of, behind, next to, above, below. etc. We talked about each positional word, it's meaning and then I asked them to glue a paper turkey in the correct position with the pilgrims in the picture. They did a great job! When we finished reading the book together, I paired up everyone in both classes with a partner. I told them that I wanted them to sit knee-to-knee and eye-to-eye. I asked them to decide who was going to read first. Then I told them they would take turns reading the book to one another reading the book in it's entirety. I smiled as I walked around hearing them read to one another pointing to each word as they read them on the page. I LOVED hearing my kinders helping each other sound out words or give each other compliments when they were done reading! I was SOOOOO proud of how well they worked together as partners and how kind they were to one another! I was so impressed with their reading too. It was so cute!! Great job, K-1 and K-3!