K-1 and K-3

K-1 and K-3

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Thankful Turkeys

With Thanksgiving happening next week, we made some thankful turkeys today in class. The turkeys we made were a BIG project that required a lot of listening and following directions. I taught the class how to do three steps and then they would go to their table spots and complete it on their own and we would then learn three more steps. We kept doing this routine until our turkeys were finished. When our turkeys were all put together, I asked my kinder friends to write something they were thankful for on each feather. They all did a fabulous job sounding out the words they wanted to write with their "brave spelling!" I am impressed each and every day with how much growth they are growing as learners! Here are some of my adorable kinder friends with their amazing turkeys that they put so much hard work into:






























 

Now that we have finished Jolly Phonics, we have been working really hard on applying what we learned through this wonderful program while reading and writing on our own. Today they did an activity where I asked them to look at the pictures on the page and write the words on their own separating the sounds to spell it correctly. They all did a great job! I am finding that the vowels are tricky so please make sure you keep practicing the digraphs and those tricky vowel sounds. A lot of my kinder friends mistake the "e" sound for the "a" sound. With little reminders, they are able to fix it with the right sound. I am so proud of the amazing growth they are all making as writers! Way to go, K-1 and K-3!

In math, we are continuing to learn about measurement where we have learned all about measuring length, height and weight. Both classes have loved this math unit and are having fun measuring various objects with different math manipulatives. I am so proud of all they are learning in math! 

We have been learning so much in kindergarten and each day they are growing more and more as learners! I am blown away with how well they are reading and writing words on their own! It has been so exciting!