K-1 and K-3

K-1 and K-3

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

In class today, I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. As I read the story, my kinder friends did a great job chiming in on the repetitive parts of the story and helping to tell me what day of the week came next. They LOVED hearing the story and participating as I read it out loud to them! To go along with the cute story, we made a caterpillar project. The caterpillar that I asked them to make had a read head like the hungry caterpillar in the story but I told them they could use any two colors to create the body as long as it was glued together in an AB pattern. They chose the two colors they wanted and took three of each one to create the body of their caterpillar. To create the caterpillar, they had to turn each square of construction paper into a circle. I showed them when they want to turn a square into a circle, they just need to cut a little piece off the four corners and round each one out. Then they will have a circle. To finish their caterpillars, I showed them how to follow my step-by-step directions by making a face and adding antennaes and legs to it too. It was fun seeing what two colors they all picked and walking around the classroom to see all the hard work they were putting in to create their caterpillars! I was so impressed with how wonderful they all did on this activity! Especially how well they followed my step-by-step directions! I hung them in the hall for all of Olive to admire!


















After we made caterpillars, we had recess for a well-deserved "brain break." They had so much fun building with Legos, playing in the kitchen and dollhouse and making things out of colored wooden blocks. I LOVED walking around the classroom and seeing all the cute interactions amongst all of my kinder friends and seeing how much fun they were having. 


At the end of the day, I did a Jolly Phonics lesson where we learned all about the letter "Aa." We didn't finish the lesson so I will be spending time on it with both classes tomorrow. They are having so much fun learning Jolly Phonics and doing a great job applying what they are learning in their practice packets!

We had a fun day in K-1 and K-3! Have a great night, everyone!