K-1 and K-3

K-1 and K-3

Thursday, September 5, 2024

We are Hungry for Learning!

In class yesterday, I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. As I read the story, my kinder friends did a great job chiming in on the repetitive parts of the story and helping to tell me what day of the week came next. They LOVED hearing the story and participating as I read it out loud to them! To go along with the cute story, we made a caterpillar project. The caterpillar that I asked them to make had a read head like the hungry caterpillar in the story but I told them they could use any two colors to create the body as long as it was glued together in an AB pattern. They chose the two colors they wanted and took three of each one to create the body of their caterpillar. To create the caterpillar, they had to turn each square of construction paper into a circle. I showed them when they want to turn a square into a circle, they just need to cut a little piece off the four corners and round each one out. Then they will have a circle. To finish their caterpillars, I showed them how to follow my step-by-step directions by making a face and adding antennaes and legs to it too. It was fun seeing what two colors they all picked and walking around the classroom to see all the hard work they were putting in to create their caterpillars! I was so impressed with how wonderful they all did on this activity! Especially how well they followed my step-by-step directions! I hung them in the hall for all of Olive to admire!























In math today, we learned about the numbers 3 and 4. We learned about the quantity of each, how to write them with the correct number formation from top to bottom and we showed what we learned in our math workbooks. I was so impressed with how well they did! 











Since the class did so well with our math lesson, I did a little extra where we also learned about patterns too. I gave them some counting cubes and they practiced making all different kinds of patterns such as AB, AAB, etc. They did such a great job!









In literacy today, we read a book about a character named Keisha and her kindergarten class. Through reading this story, we learned about what an author and illustrator are and we practiced making some connections with the main character of the story on how our school is like hers or how we do some of the same things she does in her school. We learned how to work with a partner and practiced doing "Think, Pair, Share" to talk about certain parts of the story as I read it to the class. 

In writing, we learned about the lines on a paper such as the top line, middle line and bottom line and why each line is so important. We practiced making vertical lines, horizontal lines, and slanted lines on some lined paper. Next we learned about the capital letters L, H and I. We learned the correct letter formation for each letter and we practiced writing them in the air. Next we went to our seats and practiced writing them with a pencil in our HMH workbooks. I was very impressed with how well they all wrote the letters with the right formation and how well they followed my step by step directions. Way to go, K-1!


Have a great night, everyone! I can't believe it's already Friday tomorrow!