K-1 and K-3
Wednesday, September 23, 2026
In structured literacy in the morning, we have continued to learn more letters with the sounds they make. We have learned the letter sounds for Mm, Tt, Aa and Ss. Tomorrow we will add letter Bb to our letter sound vocabulary. With each letter lesson, it has words that contains the letter sounds we have learned and it has been so exciting to hear them decode the words and read them outloud to me! Yay, K-1! We also have learned some heart words that they have gotten amazing at learning quickly! With learning these letters sounds and heart words, they are on their way to becoming wonderful readers!
In literacy, we are reading books about school and the parts of a book (front cover, title page, back of the book and pages). They are learning what they find on each part of the book and what it means. They are getting really good at telling me what an author and illustrator do. They are also learning that when they read the words on the page they should look at the picture to help them understand more what the words mean. We talked a lot about how letters make up words and words make up sentences. They are starting to learn about different kinds of punctuation too. In grammar, we have learned about nouns (singular and plural) and now we are learning about adjectives. They learned that adjectives are words that describe a noun. With some practice today, they did great identifying the noun and the adjective that described it. We did an adjective activity today and they did wonderful with it! Yay, K-1! They amaze me how much they are learning and how fast they are understanding taught concepts!
In writing, I have done a few directed draws with the class where I teach them how to draw an object and they follow my step-by-step directions until it's complete. When we have finished drawing, I ask them to add their own creative details and color it. I then walk around and ask them to tell me one complete sentence that goes along with their picture and I write it down for them in their journal underneath the picture. When everyone is done, I pick 4 friends (2 boys and 2 girls) to share their journal with the class. They tell us what they drew and read their sentence to us. They each get to call on 2 friends (a boy and girl) to give them a compliment about their journal entry. They LOVE getting to share their journal and it's fun to hear the cute compliments they give their classmates who are sharing.
In math, we are learning about numbers 5-10 and how to show those numbers on a ten-frame. They are learning how to write the numbers the correct way from top to bottom and understanding the quantity of each one. They LOVE math and are really enjoying learning the rhymes that help them form the numbers the correct way such as: For number 5 they learned " neck and tummmy with a hat on top." In social studies, we are continuing our civics unit where the topics have been: How do I get along with others? How do I make friends? How do I solve problems with others? and How can I be a good helper at school? My kindergarten friends are learning so much and with each day, they are becoming more and more independent as learners. I am so proud of all their progress and how much they are learning! Yay, K-1!











