K-1 and K-3

K-1 and K-3

Friday, September 1, 2023

How is it September already?

With today being September 1st, we made our first monthly calendar. On this calendar, it lists all the important things that are happening in our classroom such as friends in our class that have a birthday, days off from school, and important events that are happening at Olive. These calendars are a lot of work but it helps them to work on a lot of important skills such as: counting in order from 1-30 or 31, writing their numbers in order the correct way from top to bottom and strengthening their fine motor skills along with their ability to follow directions. For their September calendar, we filled out the calendar part together where I taught them how to write the numbers 1-30 the correct way. I taught them a rhyme for the numbers 1-10 that helped them to remember how to write it the right way. As we traced the numbers, we talked about events that happen on specific days if they were written on the calendar. When we were done with the calendar, I showed them the school house. For this part of the calendar, I asked them to color the school house specific colors from the color key. To help them in coloring it correctly, we colored the color key first together and then I taught them how to color the pieces by modeling how to color in all the peek-a-boo spots. When they were done coloring the school house, I asked them to cut it out and glue it on a big piece of blue paper above their calendar. Lastly, I asked them to add some detail to their school house so it wasn't floating in the sky. They had fun adding grass, clouds and a sun and some other fun details. I was so impressed with how well they did on their calendars today and I know they were all looking forward to sharing them with you when they got home!












Have a wonderful long weekend, everyone and thank you for sharing your amazing kiddos with me each and every day! They make me giggle and I LOVE seeing all the excitement they bring into the classroom each day!