K-1 and K-3
Friday, October 2, 2026
Spookley The Square Pumpkin
Today, we listened to the read aloud of Spookley The Square PUmpkin. My kindergarten friends loved the story! Next, I gave my kinders bright orange construction paper and I asked them to draw a pumpkin shape with a pencil of any size they wanted. We talked about how pumpkins can be all different shapes and sizes. Then, I did a TLC activity where we used their paper pumpkin to make it into a jack-o-lantern. I taught them how to make grass and they used brown construction paper to make a stem. They did such a great job following my step-by-step directions and turning their own pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns with the left over black and white paper they had left. I LOVED seeing all their finished projects! They turned out amazing! I hung them in the hallway for all of Olive to enjoy for the remainder of the month.
In math, we are continuing to practice ordinal numbers. I am finding this concept is a little "tricky" for them! We will continue to work on it so they can be successfull learning this new math concept. In reading and writing, we are continuing to learn letters and the sounds they make. We have learned quite a few letters and they have added them in their soundbook. With that being said, we have been working on decoding and encoding words that contain the learned sounds. They are all doing great beginning to read and write on their own. I am so proud of the wonderful growth they are making as learners! In literacy, we are continuing to learn about "parts of a book, " different genres (fiction and informational text), nouns and verbs, and structure of a sentence. They are learning that all sentences begin with a capital letter and end with some type of punctuation. They have learned that letters make up words and words make up sentences. We have also discussed the characters in books and the setting. My kindergarteners are doing AMAZING! Way to go, K-1!
