K-1 and K-3

K-1 and K-3

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

 This week we have been celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday by reading a book he wrote each day followed by a fun activity to go along with it. Yesterday I kicked off our week with reading, The Cat In The Hat and each of my kindergarten friends made their own rhyming hat out of paper. On each paper hat, I wrote a word family at the top and I asked each student to think of 5 words on their own that would fit into their assigned word family. They had fun thinking of words all on their own and I was so impressed with how well they all did writing the words on their hats. Way to go, K-1 and K-3!

Today, I read the class Dr. Seuss' book,  One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. As we read the book we talked about rhyming words and words that were opposites. Both classes did a wonderful job finding both throughout the story. When we finished reading the book, I gave all my kindergarten friends a small cup filled with rainbow goldfish. I asked them to sort their fish by color, graph them on their paper, and plug in their numbers in the addition sentences below their graph to figure out the totals. They had so much fun doing this fun math activity and I was so impressed how well they all did figuring out all the addition sentences. It was amazing to see! Sometimes, I think my kindergarten friends may be first graders in disguise. They truly amaze me everyday! Here are some pictures I took of both classes doing our fun Dr. Seuss math activity today:















In the afternoon class, we had a little more time in our day since we didn't have any specials. With that extra time I did a directed draw lesson with the class where I taught them how to draw a fish. It went along with the math activity we were doing earlier in our day. The class LOVED learning how to draw a fish and they had so much fun adding detail to their picture, coloring it and labeling it. After they finished their pictures, I asked them to write 2 or more sentences about their picture. I was blown away with their writing! They all did such a wonderful job doing the three things good writers do and I was so impressed! Way to go K-3! Here are some pictures of the class during our writing time today:







For something a little extra today, I did an activity with the class where they had to look at the number that was written and write the next three numbers that followed as they counted on. This was a hard concept and I was so impressed with how well all my kindergarten friends did. Wow!



It has been such a fun week so far in K-1 and K-3! Both classes are having so much fun celebrating Dr. Seuss with our Dr. Seuss week! Tomorrow is "Wacky Wednesday" and I can't wait to see the wacky ways my kindergarten friends will be dressed when I see them at school tomorrow! Have a wonderful night, everyone!